Experts in Cleaning walls with no damage
The purpose of cleaning is to remove contamination while causing little or no damage to the bricks or mortar. This can be hard to achieve since the dirt can be embedded within the surface of the bricks and joints. Using chemical methods or aggressive high pressure water washing on old brickwork can cause more damage than leaving the bricks dirty.
SYMPATHETIC BRICK CLEANING METHODS
The development of air vortex blast cleaning using gentle abrasives enabled old brickwork to be cleaned with less damage. Soda blasting is one of our preferred methods of revitalising your brickwork. It uses compressed air to fire specially graded sodium bicarbonate crystals at the brickwork in order to remove surface deposits.
Soda blasting is particularly suited to the removal of:
- Organic and lime based paints
- Lime scale
- Carbon soiling
- Bird droppings
- Algal blooms
Soda blasting does not damage the substrate and is environmentally friendly. Sodium bicarbonate is much softer than bricks so it does not act as an abrasive to the surface. It works from the outside in, gently removing successive layers of the contamination until the surface of the brick is reached. Traditional methods are less controlled and will remove the layer of soiling in one fell swoop, damaging the surface of your brickwork.
Where the main problems are with moss, algae and fungi, the APT Hot Box system is perfect. This was designed by our site operatives working with engineers and uses low pressure steam at high temperature. It is a very efficient brick cleaning method that cuts down on labour costs and therefore it is a highly cost effective option for our clients. Other benefits include:
- Quick drying as the steam is super heated and the low volume of water needed to create the steam means very little water is left on the surface of the bricks
- Can be used in all seasons as the low pressures used do not force water droplets into any pores in the bricks, reducing the chances of freeze-thaw damage
- Low surface pressure prevents damage to soft brickwork
- High temperatures kill the spores of mosses, algae and fungi meaning that no chemical inhibitors need to be used either before or after cleaning in order to retard re-growth